Attire for Potty Training in One Day
Yes, there is a recommended potty training attire!!
The basis of the "potty train in one day" method is to allow the child to initiate and to go the potty independently. The parent is the guide or coach to help the child understand what the expectations are, and what needs to be done, however, the goal is that the child go to the potty when s/he has the urge to go.
So, as a parent, it is your role to plan things out so that your child can go potty independently.
The ideal outfit for potty training is:
- t-shirt - tee shirt should be short enough that it will not get in the way of pulling underwear up and down
- training pants - training pants should be easy for the toddler to pull up and own
- (if cold) sweat pants
No buckles, buttons, snaps, zippers or other hard to remove items.
Clothes that the toddler can wear by him/herself without adult assistance are ideal.You want to foster independence.
- Elastic waistbands - easy for kids to pull up and down
- Velcro closings - much easier when compared to buttons, snaps and zippers
- Crop shirts - gives easier access to pants; can pin shirt up to keep it from getting in the way
- Skirts - are great choice for girls, as they can be pulled down along with the underwear.
- Going bare - no barriers to getting to the potty on time!!
What does not:
- Overalls - if child manages to get the shoulders undone, the straps will invariably hand into the toilet
- Zippers, snaps, buttons and belts - best to avoid these during the potty training phase.
- Dresses - can be confusing, because it has to be pulled up; can be hard to manage - pull and hold dress up, then pull underwear down.
- Tights - just adds another layer
- Jumpsuit or one piece outfits - avoid anything that is hard to get on and off.
Don't forget to check out more information on the Potty Training in One Day Method!